4 large eggs, separated
100g coconut sugar
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
120g almond flour
30g arrowroot powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Coconut Oil (for greasing)
FOR THE BERRIES:
250g strawberries, sliced
60ml Profusion Organic Kombucha (We used Baobab, Mint & Pomegranate)
1 tbsp coconut sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan, gas 4) and oil a 23cm round pan with coconut oil. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a wooden spoon to beat together the egg yolks, 50g of the sugar, and the almond and vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, whisk together the almond flour, arrowroot, baking powder and salt. Combine with the egg yolk mixture (batter will be very thick, that’s ok), and set aside.
- Using a stand mixer or electric mixer, whip the the egg whites on medium-high until they get nice and fluffy. a little at a time, add the remaining 50g of sugar until soft peaks form. A spoonful at a time, fold the egg whites into the batter. (the batter with start out thick and will become more and more airy as the white are incorporated.)
- Spoon batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the cake pulls from the sides a bit.
- Place cake on a rack and let cool completely.
- While the cake is cooling, make your berries. place the berries in a bowl, stir in the Profusion Kombucha, and sugar. stir the berries occasionally for about 30 minutes.
- top the cake with macerated strawberries, and a sprinkle of toasted sliced almonds. Slice and serve!