1 medium pumpkin or large squash (about 1½kg)
1 tbsp rapeseed oil
½ tsp ground allspice
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp chopped ginger
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1-1.2 litres vegan stock
1 tbsp vegan white miso
For the topping:
Chilli flakes, to taste
Cracked black pepper, to taste
3 tbsp soya cream or coconut yogurt
Profusion Organic Fresh Sauerkraut
Profusion Organic Super Oat Bread
Plant based spread
- Heat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan-assisted). Peel, deseed and chop the pumpkin into 3cm chunks.
- Tip the pumpkin onto a baking tray, drizzle over half the oil, scatter with the allspice and toss well. Season and roast for 30 mins until golden and tender.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat, and fry the onion for 5 mins until tender but not golden. Add the ginger and garlic and fry for another minute, then tip in 1 litre stock and the miso.
- Put the roasted pumpkin in the pan, then bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and blend the soup with a stick blender until smooth. If you prefer a thinner soup, add the remaining stock.
- Return the soup to a gentle simmer, then season well. Ladle into bowls, and serve topped with a swirl of the soya cream and a sprinkle of chilli flakes, a twist of cracked black pepper.
- Spoon some Sauerkraut on top, and serve with a slice of toasted Super Oat bread, with plant based spread on top. Enjoy!