130g brown or green lentils, drained and rinsed
3 medium carrots, peeled and each cut into 4 large chunks
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 small yellow onion, roughly chopped
1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
800g chopped tomatoes
1 and 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more to taste)
3 cups loosely packed spinach leaves
65g quinoa, rinsed
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
Cooked Profusion Organic Red Lentil Fusilli, for serving
fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped, for serving (optional)
- In a medium sized saucepan, add the lentils, carrots and water. Bring to a boil over high heat and reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the carrots are fork tender and the lentils are cooked.
- Meanwhile, in a deep skillet or Dutch oven pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Saute the onions for about 3 minutes or until they become translucent. Add the red peppers and garlic and saute for another minute or so.
- To a blender or food processor, add the can of tomatoes, the sauteed vegetables and garlic, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes and spinach. Once the lentils have cooked, remove the carrots and add them to the blender or food processor. Puree until smooth.
- In the pan where you sauteed the vegetables, add the lentils, balsamic vinegar and quinoa. Scrape any brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Add the pureed tomato mixture and bring to a simmer. Cook over low heat for about 30 minutes or until the white tails show on the quinoa
- Meanwhile — cook your pasta as directed on the package. If needed, add some pasta water to thin out the sauce a bit.
- Serve and sprinkle with fresh flat leaf parsley.